Vegan: No-bake Carrot and Coconut Milk Crème brûlée, anyone?
Carrot, Coconut Milk, and Crème brûlée – Who knew? Have you tried carrots in dessert besides carrot cake? Yes. You read it correctly. This recipe integrates carrots to different dessert. The recipe serves up vegan milk, custard, pudding, and brûlée, read on to know how?
- Peeler, knife, and cutting board
- Spatula, spoon, and a whisk
- Can opener
- Crème brûlée ramekins
- Baking tray and oven mitts
- Hand blender
- Two heavy-bottomed pots
- Brûlée Torch or Oven broiler
Ingredients: 2 servings
- 1 Carrot (small size)
- One can unsweeten full-fat Coconut milk (400 ml)
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Water
- Non-Vegans don’t fret: Substitute Coconut milk with heavy cream.
Have you ever tried?
- Carrot kheer/pudding dessert similar to rice pudding? Share your experience in the comment section below.
Direction: Vegan Carrot Coconut Milk concoction
- Simmer coconut milk and carrot to soften on the medium heat in a heavy bottom pot.
- Carrot Coconut Milk: Blend simmered concoction of carrot and coconut milk to smooth consistency.
- For two servings: Simmer 300 ml carrot coconut milk, while storing rest of the prepared milk for other use.
- Add vanilla bean paste to flavor the vegan concoction.
Tip #1 : Dress your coffee with home made vanilla flavoured carrot coconut milk.
Direction: Vegan Carrot Custard
- Add sugar (2-3 tbsp) and a pinch of salt to the carrot coconut milk.
- Adjust the sweetness as per your palate;
- Add salt to cut through the richness of the full-fat coconut milk.
- Corn starch mixture: Mix 1/4 cup water and 2 tbsp corn starch.
- Add the corn starch mixture to the warm carrot coconut milk concoction, and cook further until thickened to the custard consistency.
- To avoid lumps in custard whisk away.
- Custard Spoon Test: Cook custard until thickened more than a successful custard spoon test.
- Plating: Divide the custard to the ramekins.
- Let the custard set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. I left the custard to set overnight in the fridge.
How to? Candied Carrot Peel and Ingredients:
- One Carrot, peeled
- 1 cup of Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 Lime juice
Method: For Garnish
- Simple Sugar Syrup: Boil water, sugar, and carrot peel in a heavy-bottomed pot until a thickened.
- Add 1 tsp lime juice to the syrup and let it simmer until carrots peel is translucent.
Tip #2: Wrap candied carrot peels to chopstick one at a time to make the carrot peel roses.
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Turbinado Sugar
- Sprinkle the white and turbinado sugar to the custard-filled ramekins.
- Broil/torch to Brûlée the sugar.
- Broil 5 min; keep an eye as the timing may vary based on the oven.
Tip #3: Brûlée test: Listen to the crackling sound of the caramelized sugar layer (Brûlée) to know if the Creme Brûlée is done right.
Enjoy the vegan no-bake creme brûlée with a carrot twist. Leave a comment if you try any of the suggestions or if you personalize the recipe with your twist. I would love to know your version in the comment below.
The recipe wears many hats and can jazz up the coffee and dessert in style:
- Crème brûlée
More on Gluten-free recipes below:
- Spiced Salad: zucchini and carrot nutrition power pack
- Falafel Au Gratin: Italian and Lebanese fusion
- Vitamix Hummus (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- How to make: Puffed Quinoa Jaggery Chikki
- Andretta Pottery
- Grocery: Valley Farm Produce
- Kitchen Aid Hand Blender
- Tripod: Manfrotto – From Henrys
- Camera: Nikon D5300 – From Best Buy
- Lens: 50 mm 1/8 focal length – From Henrys
Please share your experience if you try the recipe.